- I have completed a basic gun safety course.
- My children know basic gun safety rules.
- My children know at least three possible consequences of not following basic gun safety rules.
- My children know what to do and what not to do if a gun is found.
- I own and use a gun locking device such as a trigger lock, cable lock, lock box, gun safe or other similar safety product.
- Every gun in my home is always locked with a locking device when not in use.
- I know the types of gun locking devices that should not be used with loaded guns.
- I know whether or not there are unsecured guns in the homes where my children play and visit.
If you did not check one or more of the above checklist points, you and others in your home may be at risk. If you checked all of the above checklist points, you and others in your home could still be at risk. Please contact the Marion County Public Health Department Violence Prevention Program at 221-3538 if you would like to learn more about best practices for reducing the risk of gun-related injury and death.